No replies to this topic

#1 rannmann

rannmann

Web Developer

• Head AdministratorDynamic Duo 2016
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Some donors had their donation subscriptions suspended or cancelled without their knowledge over the last year.  I'm not exactly sure why, but in all there were 31 users affected.  Unfortunately this seems to be an issue with Paypal itself and there's nothing we can do about it.  Expect the issue to continue occurring for those who donate via Paypal.  If your donor status mysteriously vanishes, this is likely the culprit.  You can resume payments through Paypal if they were suspended, or create a new subscription on our site if they were cancelled.  Not sure what to do?  Open a support ticket through the Helpdesk and our staff will assist you in any way we can.

What happens on our end is that Paypal fails to ping back a "Cancelled" or "Suspended" status to our subscriptions manager after some automatic cancellations/suspensions.  This means our forums believe that some expired subscriptions are still active.  Most users were unaware that the subscriptions were no longer working since both the forum donor status and in-game benefits were working.

The affected donors received anywhere from 1 to 12 months of free donor perks.  Don't worry, we don't expect you to pay any subscription time based on technical errors.  Think of it as a randomly-distributed bonus for those who donated in the past!  

I just went through the list of affected users and removed them from the donor groups.  If your donor badge is now missing and you think you were removed in error, please let me know and I'll confirm through our payment logs.

For those of you who have perma-donor (contest winners, ex-admins, etc), your donor status should be treated as if it were a key donation.  That means you have all the in-game perks as a donor, but you should not have a forum badge.  If you think your perma-donor is missing, it likely just got converted to a different type.

To prevent this from happening in the future, all we can do is run donation audits to catch the issue as soon as it arises (it's much easier now that I wrote the database query).  We'll contact you on an individual basis if your payments have been affected.

Sorry for any inconvenience!