FirePowered Gaming Forums

Photo

Is Payload doomed? (Read before posting)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dattix NEO

Dattix NEO

Trump Poster

• Senior MemberDonator
    Media Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

As I'm sure most of you know by now, the Gun Mettle Update unintentionally brought about a rather severe exploit whereby throwing certain weapons (works best with long ones such as Flamethrowers) around on top of the bomb hole on certain payload maps (sometimes even just suiciding causes it to instantly happen) causes the weapon to fall through and cause a detonation early, putting RED at a disadvantage and removing the cart from the game, making it invisible and removing its Level 1 Dispenser capabilities, pissing off BLU. This works even after 2 patches, since Valve has yet to address the core problem, which I'll explain below.

Today NISLT, the man who released the video showcasing the exploit, released another one where he basically tells people to stop it near the end. That should tell you he regrets putting it up, but by now it is far too late. Exploits are funny for a couple of days, but after everyone does it for a couple weeks, it gets old fast. Lots of public Payload servers are now empty, since the glitch is guaranteed to happen, usually at the hands of RED griefers. All maps that use the traditional bomb hole (with the glass seal) are affected; this does not affect maps like pl_upward (which has long been patched), pl_frontier, or plr_hightower (not that anyone cares), but does affect the popular maps like Goldrush and Badwater Basin (where it's most commonly seen); not even the recent Borneo is immune.

Why does this glitch happen? This Reddit post explains it pretty well, but basically, these pits are missing a filter which disallows all props other than the Payload from triggering the explosion. The reason it's missing? Because until recently, Payload maps never suffered from this problem: the cart was the map's sole prop, therefore it wasn't needed at the time. However, thanks to the Gun Mettle update, all dropped weapons now count as physics props, but Valve never updated the pits to account for this since the glass should keep the weapons out, but it doesn't. Apparently clipping through never occurred to them.

So why doesn't Valve get off their lazy asses and fix it?

Well, since the pit is copy-pasted across maps, adding this filter to every single official map and fixing the problem for unofficial ones takes a massive amount of labor and recompiling code, then releasing a 193 MB update just for this one problem. It's obvious they're either hard at work doing this or avoiding the issue altogether because of how much work it entails.

Luckily, lots of community servers, such as ours, have mods in place keeping the exploit from happening. The downside, though, is that new players generally play Valve servers lots of times and so assume this glitch to be true for all servers. As such, I very rarely see a full Official Payload server these days. People don't want to play with trolls, and when there's literally thousands of them, that's a problem.

So where does this go? A few ways:

1. Valve does the intensive fix, nullifying the problem definitively. This is unlikely, but not entirely out of the question.

2. Valve comes up with another way to prevent props other than the cart from being able to get through the glass. Would still take some work, but this is the most likely direction that will be taken.

3. Valve reverts the changes to dropped weapon mechanics to how they were before the update. Obviously unlikely, since this was a selling point of the update.

4. No action is taken, and people continue to avoid Payload.

I honestly believe that if this glitch were to persist for much longer, that this could be the end of Payload as a game mode.Will it go the way of Territorial Control? Probably not, since not all Payload maps are affected. But it would scare away new players, and leave the mode mostly stagnant.

What do you think about all this? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this below.

Posted Image

Milk Please Steel Highlander Heavy Sub (as Salacious B. Crumb)

Posted Image

#2 Cheese

Cheese

♪ ♬ ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ ♬ ♪

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

I think it will be fixed soon, and it will be as if nothing had gone wrong at all.

Posted Image
Spoiler:
Posted Image

#3 Cayda

Cayda

Party Cat

• Senior MemberFriendliest Friend 2016
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:53 PM

I think it will be fixed soon, and it will be as if nothing had gone wrong at all.

^

It'll be fine, I'm sure.

#4 Dattix NEO

Dattix NEO

Trump Poster

• Senior MemberDonator
    Media Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:14 PM

I sure hope so. This is about the wrong time for Valve Time to be kicking in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 jh34ghu43gu

jh34ghu43gu

Fire Poster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Updated maps
- Fixed an exploit related to the final control point and dropped weapons on Badwater, Barnblitz, Borneo, and Goldrush

looks like it might be fixed

504383_101.png

Rip turbine/dustbowl 2016

#6 Dattix NEO

Dattix NEO

Trump Poster

• Senior MemberDonator
    Media Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Updated maps
- Fixed an exploit related to the final control point and dropped weapons on Badwater, Barnblitz, Borneo, and Goldrush

looks like it might be fixed

Oh thank goodness

Payload is saved, all praise lord Gaben

Posted Image

Posted Image