FirePowered Gaming Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Mass steam game updates

Steam Worried

Best Answer God of Velcro , 14 April 2016 - 12:23 AM

It was the _CommonRedist folder that holds the DirectX shit. From what I heard, They (at least attempted to) lumped all installations of DirectX and whatnot together, so you didn't have to reinstall it over and over again every time you install a game. It frees up some hard drive space at least. There was one round, where each game had literally 0 bytes to install, and then some people have had a second round where it ranges from 50-200 MB per game, apparently to reinstall some lost files.

Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems weird that Valve wouldn't say anything about it.

Go to the full post

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 blackgear98

blackgear98

Flame Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

So today I came home to find that steam wanted to update 20+ games I have, does anyone know why? Not all my games needed updates and I can't find any correlation between them.

I couldn't find anything on the steam blog or announcement pages, and I am not in the steam opt-in beta thing.

(Games range from regularly played to never played to don't own, tried during free weekend)

411878_101.png

#2 God of Velcro

God of Velcro

The Biggest Ripoff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:23 AM   Best Answer

It was the _CommonRedist folder that holds the DirectX shit. From what I heard, They (at least attempted to) lumped all installations of DirectX and whatnot together, so you didn't have to reinstall it over and over again every time you install a game. It frees up some hard drive space at least. There was one round, where each game had literally 0 bytes to install, and then some people have had a second round where it ranges from 50-200 MB per game, apparently to reinstall some lost files.

Again, this is just what I heard, but it seems weird that Valve wouldn't say anything about it.

If you laid out all of your blood vessels, end to end, you would die.

"Velcro's a ripoff" - Neco

There is nothing more satisfying than listening to a 24 hour compilation of Soviet marches.

index.png?uid=6527