FirePowered Gaming Forums

Photo

Most efficient screen recording software?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 superdudezes

superdudezes

Tinder Poster

• User
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Hey Superdudezes here...(a_blaze)

I was going to get a free/cheap recording software and I was wondering if there was a recommended program/topic/or people to record with...

Please give me your suggestions in a...

Program...

Topic...

People...

...Form

Thanks

~Super

#2 Lelouch24

Lelouch24

Fire Poster

• User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have problems with most recording software (And I've tried almost every one out there). The only one I got to work is MSI afterburner. It's free, light, and is supposed to support a variety of codecs (but I could only get the default mjpg codec to work). At 90% quality and 720p, it takes about 300 MB per minute, so I use Xmedia recode to convert it to h264. Other codecs should provide better compression if you can get them to work

Edited by Lelouch24, 21 July 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"Engineers, Medics, and Snipers will often times run out in the middle of battle blasting away at enemies for the entire game for no reason"

"What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil, or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?"

#3 Gillio

Gillio

Kindle Poster

• User
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

Programs: Fraps or Camtasia studio
Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe After Effects

The first 2 programs are used for audio and video recording, fraps is good at recording games and keeping framerate stable, however file sizes of the recorded footage are big. So be prepared to delete them.

2nd one is Camtasia recorder. This recording software is not really made for games and causes the game footage to seem choppy with framerate. Though you can save the recording file in any file you want, it also has screen resolution options to whatever you want.

Both are fine in terms of recording audio and quality. Fraps is more recommended for recording games and Camtasia is recommended for recording other things.

Sony Vegas Pro - A usual editing software used by gameplay commentators, montage creators, and weird people. Sony Vegas is a really clean editing software with wide varity to improve clips and make things pretty. It's also really easy to use. They're many versions of Sony Vegas, basically if you get a version above 8.0, you should be fine.

Adobe After Effects - Known as "Hollywood's Best Friend". After Effects is used in a lot of movies in editing and improving terms. It can be used to create and animate, which is all fun to play around with. It's usually used as a color correction and special effects in hollywood, so if you want any nifty fireworks for your video, AAE is your guy.

Sony Vegas is used for editing (like fixing audio and cutting out parts of the clip that isnt needed). It is used by many video game commentators

Adobe After Effects is more of playing around and creating cool stuff. It drives people interested into motion graphics more then not, but its really good for color correction and special effects. If you're more interested into creating and making videos look pretty, this is worth trying out.

Non of these programs are free or cheap. But everyone except for coperations making a movie and my friend Braden, pirates them. If you dont have that much of a guilty conscience about it then you can get on with your youtube career.

Topic, People, and Form is all entirely up to you, but try to look for inspiration

#4 Globox

Globox

Kindle Poster

• User
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:50 AM

I bought fraps back when it was like 80 dollars and I have yet to use it to this day.

Mostly because I am so inpatient when it comes to creating videos.

But it is good nonetheless.

#5 Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Inferno Poster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but what is the most commonly used screen recording software found online? Nice quality and preferably somewhat inexpensive is what i am looking for. What do ya'll use? 

Sorry if there is another topic out there, i didn't find it.

Posted Image

#6 LBJ

LBJ

COMPETITIVE HUNIEPOP PLAYER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

No, there isn't another similar thread (at least for me when I just did a quick search), so you're good.

I personally use both Fraps and Bandicam. I have the cracked versions for both so I don't need to buy the software. I can hook you up if you want, just msg me.

The thing with Fraps is that it records with an insane bitrate so your files will be HUGE. A 10 min video will probably be around 27 GB. But, it makes up for the quality. Fraps has the best quality I've seen so far. Bandicam on the other hand allows you to adjust the recording settings such as bitrate so the file sizes won't be too large. The downside is that the quality is a bit uglier than Fraps.

When you record, I recommend you set the recording destination to another hard drive so it won't kill your performance too much. 

Edited by lbj205, 20 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.

You can find me on myanimelist.net here!

Posted Image

#7 ♥ idyllic kitten naps ♥

♥ idyllic kitten naps ♥

♥ sunbeams and snuggles ♥

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:05 PM

lbj205 summed it up nicely. I used fraps, and record to a secondary, larger drive.

Personally, I find I'd rather transcode the file at a later point if file size is of concern. You can always downgrade bitrate when you transcode. You can't upgrade bitrate if you want it better ;)

index.png?uid=1141

"Do you still have to pay for it now that you're doin' stuff?" - Bek

"Come over and fondle my texans ;)" - LK

"It's only gay if it's a three way" - Bek

#8 Jenkins!

Jenkins!

Senior Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

For my videos I use fraps, although I change the recording settings a bit, so my files are usually 2 minutes to 1GB, at the cost of lower quality, but since my games run at low settings anyways, I personally don't mind.

I used to use bandicam, but it caused too much performance loss, fraps will at most deduct 1-2 frames, so there's barely any loss.

Posted Image
20 Hats Hats Highlander
S17 Steel, contact me for scrims!

#9 Gulfen

Gulfen

High Warlord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Fraps is the best, but I'd say OBS is the best free.

#10 HypercompetentDistraction

HypercompetentDistraction

Inferno Poster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I use Fraps, though I have alternate software depending on if the thing being recorded is not DirectX-compatible.

Hi, I'm a jerk who likes cats. Also kinda decent with Engineer I guess? I don't know.

22014_101.png

#11 Craig

Craig

no

• User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:24 AM

I disagree with everyone. MSI afterburner is the best in my experience : small file size, insane quality, tons of options, very little lag.....and it's free :D

ye

#12 Kricys

Kricys

Inferno Poster

• Senior MemberMedia Team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:21 AM

As long as you have the RAM & dedicated HDD space, Fraps is my go-to for screen recording.

Posted Image

#13 Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman

Inferno Poster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Cool beans, looks like the general consensus is Fraps. @lbj205 i'll have to catch you online at some time, i'd love to grab a copy of Fraps !

Posted Image

#14 LastTalon

LastTalon

Flame Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Fraps is the best, but I'd say OBS is the best free.

I actually really like Open Broadcaster Software as well. Its completely free and open source.

Edited by LastTalon, 22 August 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#15 Slink!

Slink!

Drifting in the wind...

• User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

I disagree with everyone. MSI afterburner is the best in my experience : small file size, insane quality, tons of options, very little lag.....and it's free :D

I use this and fraps... Fraps has a performance hit for certain games, minecraft is one of them.

"All their everything is on the cliff!" - Contra
"Fuck off" - Cayda
"Slink, are you single and ready to pringle?" - Contra
"Maybe you should stop bitching and give us some heals" - Daddy
"You sir, are a strange proffesional killstreak unusual burning vintage genuine piece of shit" - Lightbringer
"We have a major fedora problem out here" - Dija
"m8" - munchyBanana
"Roses are red, violets are blue, get on the cart , u stupid cartbitch u" - Mama

#16 Pandatron2000

Pandatron2000

Grandmaster Potato

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

I like bandicam :3

Because I tried fraps with minecraft on my desktop and it was sooooooooooo laggy D:

I was using the free version.

But the free version of bandicam has a water mark, small files and can record up to 10 minutes :3

Potato!Posted Image

#17 Manks

Manks

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

No, there isn't another similar thread (at least for me when I just did a quick search), so you're good.

I personally use both Fraps and Bandicam. I have the cracked versions for both so I don't need to buy the software. I can hook you up if you want, just msg me.

The thing with Fraps is that it records with an insane bitrate so your files will be HUGE. A 10 min video will probably be around 27 GB. But, it makes up for the quality. Fraps has the best quality I've seen so far. Bandicam on the other hand allows you to adjust the recording settings such as bitrate so the file sizes won't be too large. The downside is that the quality is a bit uglier than Fraps.

When you record, I recommend you set the recording destination to another hard drive so it won't kill your performance too much. 

If you're hoping to record long amounts of game time with fraps, just remember that it DOES TAKE UP ALOT.

my 1:30 minutes game play with my friend is about 200Gigabytes. 

Do what you want with that.

But Fraps has AMAZING quality. It's worth it. Just upload the video (compress it and such with Sony Vegas) and then delete the video file!

Y67yi1b.png

#18 LBJ

LBJ

COMPETITIVE HUNIEPOP PLAYER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

Speaking of Fraps files, how do you guys compress it? I tried VirtualDub and it de-synced the audio from the video whenever I change some of the bitrate settings. I downloaded HandBrake but haven't tried it yet. Thoughts?

You can find me on myanimelist.net here!

Posted Image

#19 Manks

Manks

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:06 AM

Speaking of Fraps files, how do you guys compress it? I tried VirtualDub and it de-synced the audio from the video whenever I change some of the bitrate settings. I downloaded HandBrake but haven't tried it yet. Thoughts?

Sony Vegas does it for me. It takes my 200gb video and makes it about 25gb. 

(still High qualtiy too.)

Y67yi1b.png

#20 LastTalon

LastTalon

Flame Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I would recommend a fully function video editor to do this such as adobe premiere or sony vegas or final cut or something like that.